The case for electing Mitt Romney instead of re-electing Pres. Obama, I find it a relatively simple one to make. It comes down to this for me: Romney is not Obama.
While Romney is a man of character and principle, Obama is not. While Romney's history shows he's led "from the front," Obama prefers to lead "from the rear." While Romney said to Obama he (Obama) inherited the greatest nation on earth, Obama whined, blamed others, made countless excuses, and even bowed to foreign leaders (One of those was bowing to the Japanese emperor). While Romney can take the "heat," Obama is thin-skinned, prickly and defensive. While Romney changed some of his positions, Obama's lied repeatedly. While Romney had a plan for his presidency should he be elected, Obama just published his last week (He's been a president without a plan). While Romney's campaign focuses on the issues and policies, Pres. Obama appears on TV talk shows (Daily Show, The View, Letterman, MTV, etc), uses "Big Bird, " "Binders," "Bumps in the Road," "Lady Parts" as rhetorical weapons and says of Romney, "The other guy is a bullsh!tter."
We also know this about Mitt Romney's character and core values. In 1995, after the Romney's heard of a family whose sons were left a paraplegic as a result of a car accident, the Romney's offered to pay their college expenses and supported the family through many fundraisers.
When the daughter, Melissa Gay, of one of his business partners went missing while visiting NY City in 1996, then CEO of Bain, Romney, closed down the Boston headquarters and flew to NYC to try to find Mellisa Gay. Romney set up a command post at the Marriott with 50 of his employees. He consulted with the NYPD and even hired private investigators. Five days later, Melissa was found in the home where a 17 year old had hidden her. Melissa is now married and a teacher.
There are literally many stories like this about the Romney's including saving a family whose boat had overturned in NH in 2003. The Romney sons and Mitt sped out to the drowning family members in jet skis. They took the family safely to shore.
And most recently, the Benghazi attack and aftermath appears to be a clear case study of incompetence on the part of the Obama administration. Recent revelations include, but are not limited to, the following (You can refer to my previous posts. I've written about this scandal extensively in the last months):
- Personnel on the ground requested more security on at least 3 occasions prior to 9/11, but were rejected (The consulate grounds were the target of previous attacks in the months before the 9/11 attack).
- It was reported by Fox News in Friday that two urgent requests for assistance DURING the attack were denied.
Allow me to review data and facts that I believe make my case for Romney and against Pres. Obama Stronger
- Most Americans already know about the high unemployment rate, but do they know that almost 5 million people are now considered long-term unemployed?
- In 2008, the poverty rate in America was 12.5%. It is now 15.1% the highest in decades.
- 14.9% of all US households are now considered suffering "food insecurity" (term used by USDA for hungry). In two states, Miss and Alabama, those rates are as high as 36%.
- Those hungry include 9 million seniors (people over 50 years of age).
- 65.9% is the number of adults who own homes, the lowest number since 1965.
- Consumer confidence in 2008 was 87.3%. Today it's 64.3%.
- Contrary to what most Americans hear, of a $3.7T budget, 62% is spent on entitlement programs. 19% on defense.
- The cost per stimulus job created? The Congressional Budget Office reported 1.4 million to 4 million "full-time equivalent" jobs at the cost of $200,000 to about $500,000 per job.
- The CBO also reported ObamaCare will cost $1.76T by 2022. They also reported ObamaCare imposes $569 billion in new taxes and fees. CBO also reports insurance premiums have also increased. In fact, the government's own actuaries anticipate premiums will rise almost 8% per year.
- The BP Deepwarter Horizon oil rig exploded on April 29, 2010. Pres. Obama did not give his first press conference addressing the oil spill until May 27, 2010.
- In December of 2010, unemployment rose to 9.8%.
- On Dec. 14, 2010, Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry is killed and four are injured by weapons traced to the Fast and Furious operation (now a scandal).
- On August 5, 2011, for the first time in American history, the country's AAA rating is downgraded.
- August 31, 2011, the green company Solyndra files for bankruptcy. The company had been given $535 million in tax payer money. Months later it was revealed the Obama administration gave Solyndra that money even though the company's solvency was ignored. Since Solyndra, many other green companies have either filed for bankruptcy or have gone out of business.
- In January 2012, Pres. Obama rejected the Keystone XL pipeline.
- In March of that year, Pres. Obama, on open mic, told Russian President Medvedev, after the election "I'll have more flexibility."
- On Sept 4, 2012, the US national debt exceeded $16T.
- On Sept 11, 2012, Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans were killed in a terrorist attack on our embassy in Benghazi, Libya.
- Oct. 3, 2012, the first presidential debate took place. Pres. Obama gave a poor performance.
- Last week, Pres. Obama presents his jobs plan (A Plan for Jobs and Middle-Class Security) after almost 4 years in office.
- Coming in January if Obama and Congress does not act: the economic and financial fiscal cliff. Unless Congress can come to an agreement on new legislation, Americans can see tax hikes for almost 90% of the Middle Class. This comes to a tax hike of about $2000-$3500/yr. The top 1% will see a tax hike of 7.2% or an additional $120K/year.
- In 2008, the foreclosure rate was .88%. Today it's about 1.2%.
- One in two recent college graduates cannot find a job or have to take a minimum-wage job.
- Economic growth has been relatively stagnant in the last 3 years.
Sources: DOL, Census, NY Post, USA TODAY, The Political War Zone, Deroy Murdock