When Pres. Obama announced he would give federal employees off for Christmas Eve, Joe Biden heard that and he was like, "But not Santa, right?"...Fallon
- I'm as sick and tired of reading and hearing about the fiscal cliff negotiations as most Americans. Nevertheless, we are all witnessing---once again---the height of White House and Congressional incompetence. The fact is they brought this mess upon themselves. They kept kicking the can down the road and now there's no road left. Depending on income and marriage status, Americans will be paying an additional $2,000 to $55,000 a year in taxes.
- While there is still a possibility some deal will be struck, we will still be left with ObamaCare taxes kicking in on New Year's Day. On the first day of 2013, a 3.8% surtax on investment income above $200 grand or for married couples above $250,000. There will also be a cap on Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses. In addition, a Medicare payroll tax of 0.9% on wage income over those numbers indicated above. There will also be a 2/3% sales tax on medical devices used by hospitals.
- And it's clear, regardless of what happens, spending will still continue. Congress can't even control their own office budgets according to USA Today. And who are the biggest spenders? A majority are Democrats. Gee, what a friggin surprise.
- If you recall, after the Benghazi report last week that proved beyond the shadow of a doubt the incompetence of the administration and State Department, several State Department officials were disciplined. In fact, it was reported they were to be fired. Well, they weren't. One was reassigned. Three others are on "administrative" leave and are expected to return to work. In other words, we were handed more lies by this administration. NY Post
- We keep hearing the refrain that guns don't kill people, people do. I happen to believe that. It's why I believe we should just ban people.
- In fact, as many know, Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation yet some of the highest crime rates including murder. CBS in Chicago is reporting there were 14 shot over Christmas and Christmas Eve. One person died.
- Last week, the NRA and others were vilified for proposing armed security personnel in schools (about 23,000 schools already have armed guards). But I had to wonder where were these same critics when Pres. Clinton proposed the same in 2000 on the first anniversary of the Columbine shootings. In fact, his initiative was called, "Cops in Schools." LA Times
- As many in my generation (Boomers) watch the younger generation glued to their digital devices and the internet, the inventor of the wind-up radio has his own observations. He believes the internet and all these devices are leaving our children brain-dead. He believes being glued to these screens results in the loss of creativity and skills. I can vouch for one thing. I believe the devices hamper social skills. Yes, all these people have a lot of friends on FB, Twitter, etc., but they don't really know most of them. How often do you see a group of people sitting around a table in a restaurant all peering into their cell phones and not talking to each other? I have a feeling this guy is on to something. I think we'll see the outcome of our obsession with these devices in about 10 more years. Regardless, it's certainly another shift or transformation of our culture and society. Some of these shifts have been good. And some have been bad. UK Mail