It's Not To Early To Be Pessimistic About Cleveland Browns...The Onion's sports
- Yes, this is a political blog, but I find myself obliged to make some comments about the replacement refs and the hypocrisy associated with all the criticisms from both the league, the teams and the fans. What strikes me as truly hypocritical is all this talk about the poor performance of the replacement refs damaging the integrity of the game. Give me a break. When did the NFL ever have any integrity? Take one headline issue. If the NFL really cared about integrity, they would have done something about the concussion injuries years ago. It's long been known that NFL players are susceptible to earlier cognitive impairment. In addition, the NFL has turned a blind eye to steroid use for years. And if the NFL really cared about the integrity of the game, they would have settled before the season started.
- And regarding the fans, ratings for the NFL are still strong. It means fans continue to watch the games with many replacement refs who can't ref. And this USA TODAY headline really tells the true story: "Blown Calls Don't Faze NFL Bettors." Why? Because that's what the NFL is really all about. The NFL is about gambling and a hard-hitting sport. That's why the League feels they can even get away with refs who should not be on gridirons reffing high school football let alone the NFL.
- The Chicago Sun-Times reported today that the low-wage work force rose by 30% in the last year. The paper also reports that one in six of those low wage workers have college degrees. Also, households with a low wage earner rose 45.7% to 56.7%. And the administration tries to convince Americans we're moving "forward?"
- Investors.com is also reporting today that household incomes have fallen 8.2% during Obama's tenure.
- Nevada's "real" unemployment rate is now 12.1% (that's Harry Reid's state). California is at 10.6% (that's Pelosi's state).
- Did you know the Green Party candidate, Jill Stein, is to the right of Obama? She said this recently: "If you don't have work, you'd go to an employment office, not an unemployment office, and you'd get a job, not sit home, depressed with a check." Damn, hell has frozen over. Glen Harlan, Univ. of Tenn.
- This from The Nation, one of the country's most progressive, left-leaning publications regarding Pres. Obama's speech at the UN. "Obama's speech at the United Nations fell flat. It failed to outline a single significant initiative..." The NY Post editorial described the speech as "a campaign performance."
- Retired military officers are pointing out that today's kids are too fat to serve in the military. How many are they referring to? Try 26 million between the ages of 17 to 24. And how many empty calories do these kids consume each year? 400 billion. This food weighs 90,000 tons or heavier than a U.S. aircraft carrier. Mission Readiness